Week 5-#GRIMMread2019


                              http://shonnaslayton.com/grimm-read-2019-challenge/

It's been a rough week for me, so just a few scattered thoughts this time. I'm keeping this short.

The White Snake: I noticed lots of elements from Garden of Eden: Tree of Life, snake, apple, understanding the animals, etc.

The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean: An origin story for why beans have a black seam. I laughed at this comedy of errors. All I could picture was this story in little derpy characters in comic strip form.

The Fisherman and His Wife: The Fish (Enchanted Prince) is similar to a Genie. It's different from other stories of this type because, while it's typical for wishes to backfire, usually the wisher does not suspect this. The fisherman knows the wishes are wrong, and he is afraid they will backfire, but more afraid of his wife. I loved how the sea changed each time a wish was made. It was very foreboding.

The Valiant Little Tailor: This was a flashback to my past. When I started reading it, I remembered an old Mickey Mouse version of this. The tailor is very clever, and this tale is very amusing. He is a witty trickster in the way he performs his Herculean tasks. This seems to also be about the divide between social classes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Classics 2021 (Sign-Up Post)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Week 3- #GRIMMread2019