Back to the Classics 2021 (Sign-Up Post)



I will again be participating in the Back to the Classics Reading Challenge hosted by Karen at Books and Chocolate in 2021. The options are as follows:
  • Tier 1- complete 6 categories
  • Tier 2- complete 9 categories
  • Tier 3- complete 12 categories
My goal is to complete all 12 categories. Here are this year's categories and my tentative reading plan:

  • A 19th century classic: any book first published from 1800 to 1899 - Dracula by Bram Stoker
  • A 20th century classic: any book first published from 1900 to 1971. All books must have been published at least 50 years ago; the only exceptions are books which were written by 1971 and posthumously published. - The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
  • A classic by a woman author. -The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  • A classic in translation, meaning any book first published in a language that is not your primary language. You may read it in translation or in its original language, if you prefer. - Paradisio by Dante Alighieri
  • A classic by BIPOC author; that is, a non-white author. - The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
  • A classic by a new-to-you author, i.e., an author whose work you have never read. - Inferno by Dante Alighieri
  • New-to-you classic by a favorite author -- a new book by an author whose works you have already read. - Gunnar's Daughter by Sigrid Undset
  • A classic about an animal, or with an animal in the title. The animal can be real or metaphorical. (i.e., To Kill a Mockingbird). - The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
  • A children's classic. - Roverandom by J. R. R. Tolkien
  • A humorous or satirical classic. - Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
  • A travel or adventure classic (fiction or non-fiction). It can be a travelogue or a classic in which the main character travels in or has an adventure. - Purgatorio by Dante Alighieri
  • A classic play. Plays will only count in this category.- Antigone by Sophocles

Comments

  1. SO many great titles! I loved The Trumpet of the Swan; it was darling and a fun adventure. I was surprised by how much I liked it as an adult since I assumed it would be better suited for children. I have fond (and exhausted) memories of listening to Count of Monte Cristo on audiobook night after night the first month of my son's life as I would wake up repeatedly to nurse him and walk around the dark house so he could fall back asleep. I will walk in my reading room and suddenly have a memory of that sometimes! I am reading my first Goudge this year... I have heard great things about her.

    Here is my Back to Classics list, if interested!
    https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2021/01/back-to-classics-2021-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be be my first Goudge as well. I've heard great things about her too. I've been meaning to read The Count of Monte Cristo for years. Do you remember what translation you read? I find that to be the biggest challenge: picking a translator. I loved Kristen Lavransdatter! I read the trilogy for Back to the Classics 2019, so my reviews are on this blog if you are interested. Happy reading!

      Delete
    2. I will definitely check out your reviews on Kristin L once I start reading it! Thanks!! And I’m not sure who translated the audiobook version I listened to. I searched just now for the info on the file, but there’s no mention of who translated it. The narrator is John Lee and he did a fine job with the audiobook narration. I didn’t feel like this translation was clunky, though, for what that’s worth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Classics Reading Challenge 2022- Sign Up Post

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley