The River by Peter Heller

Format: eBook
Category:

A book by an author who is new to you- #mmdchallenge (Modern Mrs Darcy)
"On this side were only low hisses, a ticking and chirping, a simmering crackle like a million crickets, hellfire crickets, singing of apocalypse and char."
Wow! I could not put this book down. It's a short novel, but it's intense! I expected to book to be a man vs nature story, but it's so much more than that. There is literary quality to this book that I did not expect. The character development, setting, and themes are incredibly well done. I don't want to give anything away. This novel had some twists that I did not expect, which is saying something, because I tend to figure out how these kinds of stories play out fairly quickly. I cried too, which was unexpected. I loved the descriptions, but I could have done with less description of the camping gear. I particularly loved the complex character development and how the friendship between Jack and Wynn play out under the most strenuous of circumstances. Although not pervasive, there is some explicit language.

CAWPILE Rating:
C- 9
A- 10
W- 7
P- 8
I- 9
L- 8
E- 8
Avg- 8.5= ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to the Classics 2021 (Sign-Up Post)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Back to the Classics Reading Challenge 2022- Sign Up Post